Pages

November 25, 2009

No Excuse...

Except just a busy life. The  MS has been fairly minor symptoms, and even my worse symptoms I have had since February didn't compare to what got me diagnosed back in the hospital. I consider myself lucky. I have to learn to pace myself and I do get tired more easily if I push myself, but in the scheme of things I am grateful. I am still swimming but have struggled with my eating and am disappointed in myself because of that, I will be realistic and won't try to lose weight over the holiday, but just keep maintaining...The new year and my 40th birthday approaching in  March I hope will spur me on to get fit again, it has been years now since I was slim and trim and I miss it!

Why haven't I posted in the last few months? The busy social lives of my kids, lack of energy when they are in bed... I have gotten quite a few projects moved forward and one very important one conceived and finished and loved since my last post...

My most special project I did was when I learned that my aunt's partner Ann lost her son in Afghanistan October 3. I felt the need to make a comfort quilt for her in memory of her son Aaron but wanted one I could reasonably finish before she and my aunt arrived for a two week visit in November. I remembered a heart block I had done using 1 inch blocks and translated the 1 inch blocks into 5 inch blocks, asked her favorite colors, and came up with this:

Ann's Memory quilt for Aaron

I did a meander pattern for the quilting and quilted in words that my aunt sent me that described Aaron along with the meandering. I think she liked the surprise of finding the words about her son in the quilt.

Here is a photo of the label I but on the back.
Label for Ann's Memory Quilt

I have also been working on a pair of socks for a certain friend who has already received 2 similar pairs (I am afraid to change the pattern since they fit her well!) This is her second pair of birthday socks, though these ones will be late, I am aiming for Christmas!

More Sock Knitting...

This final project is one I finished piecing years ago it seems now, and pick up from time to time. I am doing freehand baptist fans on it and like the way it is looking. Not too much longer for this one, I hope!
Freehand Baptist Fans Tree of Life Wallhanging

I have finally put up my quilting frame again and have my ocean wave quilt on it. I will show some photos of that one soon, as well as the start of machine quilting on a simple quilt I did for our guest room... I really  hope to get back into a rhythm of posting more often again.

For all my fellow Americans, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! I plan on roasting a chicken and making a mini Thanksgiving for the girls and me tomorrow while DH is away on travel for work. A boy in Aine's class has an American dad and he has generously offered me a can of imported jellied cranberry sauce for the meal since I didn't get some for this year, woo hoo!!

More soon...or sooner than this time anyway!!

17 comments:

redfear said...

You've certainly been busy ~ such beautiful, thoughtful projects! Thank you for sharing them. I particularly like the heart quilt idea. It's lovely!

Dawn said...

Oh wow Cathy you have been busy... so glad you are well.....your 'heart quilt' is so special... bless you for your thoughtfulness.
Hugs and happy Thanksgiving..
Dawn x x

Jane Weston said...

I have thought of you often and wondered how you are coping. I suppose the best thing is to take each day as it comes and do what you can in any given day...(I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year and I live by that motto)

Love the baptist fan on that last quilt you showed..that has got to be my favourite quilting pattern.. it works so well.

Take care and enjoy your Irish Thanksgiving (we did the same thing back in October when it was the Canadian Thanksgiving! LOL)

The Chocolate Cat said...

Gosh you have been busy! That 'comfort' quilt is just beautiful, just reading the label brought tears to my eyes, far too young. Happy Thanksgiving!

Karol-Ann said...

Great to hear from you. A sad, beautiful and very thoughtful quilt for such a huge loss - well done on working so hard on it.
Look after yourself and hope to read you again soon, xka

Barbara said...

I have tears in my eyes after reading the words on the back of the beautiful quilt you made for your aunt's partner on the loss of her son. I cannot imagine losing a child...

Best wishes to you and yours, as always, Cathi!!!

Mary-Kay said...

It's good to hear from you again. I was beginning too wonder if all was okay. The heart quilt is beautiful and the label is just perfect. Have a great day and stay well!

Jenny McH said...

Well done, such a lovely comfort quilt. But a such a tragic time losing one's child.
You are certainly keeping busy. Treat each day as a new day don't look back on what you didn't do in regards to your eating plans, look forward to what you can achieve today. It's great that you are keeping up with your swimming, that has to be good for you in so many ways.

Sarah said...

I was actually looking forward to your arrival...at least I thought you and the family were spending Thanksgiving here. Nonetheless, I am thankful for you that you are busy away--craft is a wonderful therapy of all things. The memory quilt is very comforting to the eyes either from afar! Your sock knitting is so perfect and clear. The baptist fan speaks to me the most--I will try to make some samplers for a few charity quilts on my list. Thanks so much, Cathi, for all the wonderful eye candies. I wish you all health, joy, and abundance of blessings in this Thanksgiving.

Thimbleanna said...

Your quilt is just beautiful -- what a sad event, but a very lovely thing to do. I love the label on the back. It's so nice to see your beautiful hand quilting too!

Sherry said...

Love the memorial quilt!! Happy thanksgiving! xo

PJ said...

Cathi, your quilt is beautiful, and the sentiment you included on the label is so special. What a wonderful gesture; one I'm sure will be treasured forever. Good to hear your updates. I wish you good health and much happiness! Looking forward to hearing more soon. Best, Polly

Lori in SD said...

you may have been "away" but you've certainly been busy. The comfort quilt made my eyes swell a bit. A cousin's son is overseas and she worries continually. Glad to see you're back.

Ruth said...

The socks look wonderful! Beautiful quilt too.

Julie said...

Children come first...and they can keep up hopping! I love the special quilt you made, and I am so glad that the MS is not keeping you down. I want to be skinny again too! In the new year...

colleen formerly of South Africa said...

We know you have been busy..but such a thoughtful gift for your aunt's partner. It really showed a lot of thought. Glad you are learning to take it as easy as possible with a house ful of responsibilities. Have a wonderful new year.

colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Looks like you have been way to blog....I am down to one or two posts a month.... want to spend more time getting something done. Have a great week.