Pages

May 21, 2014

Two Looks/One Kit: Simply Sweet Frosted Designs May Kit!

.Simply Sweet

Hi! Cathi here with the first set of project for the Frosted Designs May Kit: Simply Sweet! This month I say set of projects because I have made two layouts, three cards and a canvas this month, my mojo has returned on overdrive!! May sees yet another gorgeous kit from Frosted Designs, full of great papers, gorgeous mediums and perfect embellishments! There are only a few kits left so you need to get yours while you can!!!


My first layout uses some bright papers and some bright photos of my daughters "zorbing" in the park in Limerick a few weeks ago! Zorbing is when you get inside a big plastic beach ball filled with air and then float around in a pool, running in that ball like a hamster on a wheel lol! It is crazy and a lot of fun for them!!
I chose the Heidi Swapp 12x12 Dreamy paper - Choose Happy for the base of my layout, perfect for those photos.  I decided to do a lot of sewing on this to add pattern and texture and will do a mini tutorial about this at the end of my post.


There are so many great embellishments and mediums to use. In the photo above you can see a button from the Dress It Up Embellishments Buttons - Au Jardin Whisper, Maya Road Vintage Stitch Heart Wood Shape, some Queen & Co. Rock Candy bling, and the gorgeous Paradise Pink Glimmer Glaze splatters. You can see where I have stitched wavy patterns across the layout in white to add texture and movement and symbolize the water that is part of the photos as well!


There are some gorgeous Prima Princess flowers in the kit which I have used here as well, just perfect as they echo the circle shapes I have used across the page! To finish off the layout I did a lot of stitching around the edges in waves and zig zags. I added my journalling using the Signo Uni-Ball Impact Bold Point 1mm Gel Pen - White


This second layout I did with the kit has a more vintage look which is more my usual style, though who likes to be pinned down to one style anyway??? I started with the Heidi Swapp Dream Dots paper. Next I used some of the lovely Melissa Frances Bits & Pieces and Heidi Swap Dreamy Tags to layer up. Behind the layers I added the gorgeous Prima Doily Sticker, cut in half and added on two sides.  I added some gesso behind the photo cluster and to highlight the stitching I planned and then used Golden Molding Paste and the Crafters Workshop Stencil: Live Laugh Love. After the molding paste was dry I used the Glimmer Glaze in Paradise Pink to paint it.


Here you can see a lot of embellishments I used, the gorgeous Prima Princess Flowers and Prima Gillian White silk flowers. the Maya Road Vintage Stitch Arrow Wood Shape, Maya Road Vintage Find Birds and Dress It Up Embellishments Button - Au Jardin Whisper.  I lined the photo with the gorgeous Maya Road Crochet Trim and made pearl accents with my Viva Decor Paper Pen in Cream.
I also added lots of zig zag stitching and some splashes of Tibetan Poppy Teal and Cattail Copper Brown from my Lindy's Stamp Gang Autumn Leaves Starbust Spray set.



In this photo you see more stitching, another flower and embellishment cluster and a gorgeous Heidi Swapp Dreamy Word Sticker.  As you can see this kit is full of gorgeous paper and embellishments that lend themselves to lots of different styles!

Sewing Mini Tutorial!!!


Since my post is so long I just wanted to do a short post to encourage you to get out your sewing machine!! I love to use mine on paper, often sewing borders around the edges of my pages trying out wavy lines, zig zag stitches and lots of different thread colors. If you crafted for a while chances are you may have a sewing machine in your craft area! It isn't just for fabric, so pull it out and give it a try!!


Here you can see the wavy lines I created for the backdrop of my layout. It creates movement and texture on the layout and it simple and fun to do, just random stitch across your pages in a wavy pattern, there is no right or wrong.


I added zig zag stitching and border stitching to both my layouts and next week you will see how I used my machine to add texture to my cards as well.

No comments: